Bath and shower seats provide a safe and sturdy support for those who have poor balance, or a lack of physical strength and need to sit while taking a bath or a shower. They also help reduce the risk of falls, and often enable people to continue to take care of their own personal needs. Bath and Shower Seats offer security and comfort while bathing and can generally be used in both bathtubs and shower stalls. They are often available with added features such as height adjustability, handles, slip-resistant tips and a convenient notch to hold a shower spray.
- Check the weight capacity of the seat. If you are over 300 lbs, you may want to consider a bariatric model
- The seat size and frame construction should be appropriate for your weight. It should have sturdy, wide legs with non-slip grips on the ends and a wide enough seat
- Choose a model that is height-adjustable so you can change the height if necessary
- Look for extra features such as padding on the seat, back and armrests and a notch to hold a shower spray to make your bath a more enjoyable experience
- If you find it difficult to sit upright, a bath seat with a back is recommended
- Look for a model that allows water to drain freely so that it won’t pool in the seat and cause slipperiness
- Be sure to measure the bathtub or shower carefully to ensure the seat will fit properly