| || |
Avoid an Unplanned Return to the Hospital
Boomerangs are a fun toy; no matter how far you throw them, they always come back. When it comes to hospitals, though, coming back again and again is anything but fun.
Repeat Visits Pose Major Risks
Not all rehospitalizations are bad. In some cases, it may actually be a part of your treatment plan. For instance, you may need to go home to recover from an infection before coming back for surgery.
Go Home—and Stay Home
Make your transition back home as easy and safe as possible. Take these steps to reduce your chances of winding up back in the hospital:
• List your medications. Include the dosages, side effects, and how and when to take them. Make special note of medications that were discontinued, added, or changed.
• Have a plan. Understand what steps you should take—such as exercising or eating properly—to get better. Also ask if you should avoid certain activities, such as bathing or climbing stairs.
• Come back on your own terms. Schedule follow-ups with your primary care physician and specialist to make sure you stay on track to a healthy recovery.
Discuss your medications with your Rite Aid pharmacist and take advantage of the additional services like automated courtesy refills and prescription advisor reports that can help you stay on track with your medications.
“Effects of an Enhanced Discharge Planning Intervention for Hospitalized Older Adults: A Randomized Trial.” S. J. Altfeld et al. The Gerontologist. vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 430-40, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22961467.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards