| || |
The Skinny on Diabetes and Carbohydrates
People with diabetes know that one key to managing blood sugar is to monitor their carbohydrate intake. But this daily dance with carbohydrates can seem overwhelming at times. Here are some tips and tricks for tracking your carbs and staying within range.
• Set your targets. Generally, women need 45 to 60 grams of carbs at each meal (three to four carb choices), and men need 60 to 75 grams of carbs at each meal (four to five carb choices). You may need more or less. A dietitian can help customize your plan for your body size, activity level, weight goals, and medications.
• Know the numbers. Use lists that show the carb content of foods and food labels (look for “total carbohydrate”) to identify how many grams of carbs are in common food portions. Carb-counting websites and diabetes books are good resources. Make a cheat sheet of the foods you eat regularly.
• Portion your plate. Use measuring cups and spoons or a scale to learn what a portion size looks like. Once you’ve learned the ropes in the comfort of your own kitchen, it will be easier to estimate carbs when dining out.
• Track it. Keep a daily carb log in your kitchen or wallet. Or use an online carb counter that tracks carbs as you go. Have a smartphone? Several apps provide carb counts; they’re especially handy at restaurants.
After monitoring your carbs for a couple of weeks, you’ll find it easier to adjust your portions to stay within your plan. Like learning a new dance step, all it takes is a little practice.
For more support, savings and resources to help manage your diabetes, enroll FREE in wellness+ for diabetes in store or online.
“Carbohydrate Counting.” American Diabetes Association. www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/carb-counting/.
“Carbohydrates.” American Diabetes Association. www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/carbohydrates.html.
“Ready, Set, Start Counting!” Diabetes Care and Education Practice Group, American Dietetic Association. dbcms.s3.amazonaws.com/media/files/73f9af91-b0af-40c2-8f40-659e53061f12/ADA_Carbohydrate%20counting_large%20print_FINAL.pdf.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards
- TopMenu-Order PrintsOrder Prints
- TopMenu-Upload PhotosUpload Photos
- TopMenu-My AlbumsMy Albums
- TopMenu-Photo BooksPhoto Books
- TopMenu-Motion ProductsMotion Products
- TopMenu-Instagram Flip PrintsInstagram Flip Prints
- TopMenu-FeatherLite Gallery PanelsFeatherLite Gallery Panels