| || |
Choose the Right Blood Glucose Monitor for You
Regularly checking your blood sugar (blood glucose) is one of the most important things you can do to keep your diabetes in check. And the latest blood glucose monitors—also called meters—offer more options than ever.
There are several things to consider when buying a blood glucose monitor. Because you may need to check your blood sugar several times a day, you’ll want to invest in a high-quality device. A good monitor will also give you better results, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The FDA ensures that all meters sold in the U.S. meet certain accuracy requirements. Specifically, 95% of meter test results must be within plus or minus 20 percent of the correct level for high readings (≥ 75 mg/dl), and within plus or minus 15 points of the correct level for low readings (< 75 mg/dl). Those small differences are accurate enough for you to make treatment decisions based on your levels, experts say.
Many types of monitors are available. Different brands and models offer different features. Consider factors such as:
Take a look at these dependable monitors available for purchase at your local Rite Aid pharmacy:
Rite Aid TRUEresult
The TRUEresult meter is easy to use and allows for alternate site testing. A tiny 0.5 microliter blood sample size is needed for testing, with results in as fast as 4 seconds. It can store 500 results with time/date and can calculate 7, 14 and 30-day blood glucose averages.
Rite Aid TRUE2go
The TRUE2go meter offers true on-the-go convenience. It is the world's smallest meter, holding up to 99 test results. The easy-to-read display produces results in as fast as 4 seconds with a tiny 0.5 microliter blood sample size.
Rite Aid TRUEtrack
The easy to use TRUEtrack meter requires a small 1 microliter blood sample and produces results in 10 seconds. It has a 365 test memory with 14 and 30 day averaging.
OneTouch Verio IQ
The OneTouch Verio IQ features a color LCD screen with clear, large numbers. In addition, the screen and test port strip both light up for hassle-free nighttime testing. On-screen messaging and one-step tagging make it easy to understand what your results mean for you.
The OneTouch VerioSync is the first meter to automatically send blood sugar results wirelessly to an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using the OneTouch Reveal.
The OneTouch UltraMini is available in five colors and is small enough to fit in your purse or pocket. It is easy to use, with simple navigation buttons and results delivered in five seconds.
OneTouch Ultra 2
The One Touch Ultra offers several cutting-edge features to help you manage diabetes. For example, you can use before and after–meal averages to learn how foods affect your blood sugar. And its 500-test memory lets you track your results over time.
FreeStyle Lite System
This discreet meter is less than ¾-inch thick and smaller than a business card. The backlit display and lighted test strip port lets you use it even in dim light. It requires only a very small blood sample and delivers results in five seconds.
Take control of your diabetes and choose a meter that is right for you. Ask your Rite Aid Pharmacist for help with meter selection and training.
“Blood Glucose Meters.” L. Wahowiak. Diabetes Forecast, January 2014, www.diabetesforecast.org/2014/Jan/blood-glucose-meters-2014.html.
Blood Glucose Monitoring Devices. U.S. Food and Drug Administration, June 5, 2014. www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/productsandmedicalprocedures/InVitroDiagnostics/GlucoseTestingDevices/default.htm.
Checking Your Blood Glucose. American Diabetes Association, September 16, 2014. www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards