| || |
Swap Your Drink to Control Your Diabetes
It’s like a diet ad you’d see in the back of a magazine: Lose weight, feel better, and control your diabetes, all without changing the food you eat.
The Harms of Sugary Sips
On any given day, about half of Americans drink at least one sugar-sweetened beverage. Besides soda, added sugars lurk in many other cans and cups, including:
• Sports drinks
Other Ways to Wet Your Whistle
Water is the simplest alternative to sugary drinks. And it helps keep you hydrated and healthy. But you don’t have to quench your thirst with only plain old H2O. Try the following:
• Squeeze a lime or lemon into your water to add flavor.
For diet sodas, 100% fruit juices and other low-calorie drinks and drink mixes, check out your local Rite Aid. Be sure to talk to your Rite Aid Pharmacist about your diabetes management plan.
“Ask the Registered Dietitian Archives.” American Diabetes Association, www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-dietitian/archives/my-husband-has-been-drinking.html.
“Consumption of Sugar Drinks in the United States, 2005–2008.” C.L. Ogden et al. NCHS Data Brief. No. 71. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db71.pdf.
“Frank Hu, MD, PhD, MPH: Sugar-Sweetened Beverages Increase Risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome.”American Diabetes Association. www.diabetes.org/news-research/research/research-discoveries/in-the-news/sugar-sweetened-beverages.html.
“Frequently Asked Questions About Sugar.” American Heart Association. www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Sugar_UCM_306725_Article.jsp .
“Reducing Access to Sugar-sweetened Beverages Among Youth.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov/Features/HealthyBeverages .
“Sweeteners and Sugar Substitutes.” American Academy of Pediatrics. Healthychildren.org. www.healthychildren.org/English/healthy-living/nutrition/Pages/Sweeteners-and-Sugar-Substitutes.aspx.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards