| || |
Diabetes Weight-Loss Advice You Can Use
Controlling your weight is one key to a healthy lifestyle. Shedding even a few pounds by being active and eating wisely may improve your diabetes control. But if you have diabetes, some weight-loss strategies aren’t right—or even healthy—for you.
Talking with your doctor is a good place to start. Ask these questions:
Set a Realistic Goal
Now you’re ready to get started. Aim to lose one to two pounds per week—those fad diets promising you’ll lose 10 pounds in 10 days aren’t for you. Losing weight at this slow pace is safe and realistic for most people.
You’ll probably need to make some changes, but cutting calories doesn’t mean giving up on foods you like. The secret is to make every calorie count. Choose foods that are as nutritious as they are delicious.
Work with your doctor or dietitian to create a personal meal plan. Then keep these general tips in mind:
Find Time to Exercise
Adding more physical activity to your day helps burn calories—and lowers your blood sugar. Many experts recommend getting a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic activity each week and muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week. Break your exercise into smaller chunks of at least 10 minutes if that fits your schedule better.
Writing down what you eat and how much you exercise can be a good way to see when you’re doing well and how you can improve. The American Diabetes Association has online trackers for eating and exercise at www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/weight-loss/getting-started/food-and-physical-activity.html.
Questions about diabetes and weight loss? Ask your Rite Aid Pharmacist.
“Balancing Calories.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/calories/index.html.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards
- TopMenu-Order PrintsOrder Prints
- TopMenu-Upload PhotosUpload Photos
- TopMenu-My AlbumsMy Albums
- TopMenu-Photo BooksPhoto Books
- TopMenu-Motion ProductsMotion Products
- TopMenu-Instagram Flip PrintsInstagram Flip Prints
- TopMenu-FeatherLite Gallery PanelsFeatherLite Gallery Panels