| || |
Diabetes: Why Watch Your Blood Sugar?
Do you get tired of monitoring your blood sugar? It may help you to think about why it’s so important.
Chronically high blood glucose (sugar) levels can cause damage to internal organs and tissues. In fact, diabetes is associated with long-term complications that affect almost every part of the body. High blood glucose can harm your blood vessels and heart, nerves, kidneys, mouth, eyes and feet.
Staying in Control
Diet, exercise, and regular measurement of blood glucose levels are important for tight control. If insulin is part of the treatment plan, insulin doses may have to be adjusted daily depending on blood glucose levels. If oral diabetes medication is part of the plan, a health care provider may alter doses depending on home blood glucose levels taken over a period of time, or if symptoms of too low a blood sugar (hypoglycemia) or too high a blood sugar (hyperglycemia) occur.
Talk to your Rite Aid Pharmacist if you have any questions about monitoring your glucose.
“Your Guide to Diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2,” National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/type1and2/index.aspx.
“Other Injectable Medications,” American Diabetes Association. www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/medication/insulin/other-injectable-medications.html
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards