| || |
Manage Your Diabetes When Traveling
A Little Planning Goes a Long Way
When you travel, diabetes comes along with you. By thinking ahead, you can manage your medications, meals, and the challenges of air travel.
If you’re going on a long trip, have a medical checkup first. Tell your doctor about your travel plans and discuss any changes you may need to make in your diabetes care routine while away.
Your doctor should provide specific advice on when to take prescription medications if you will be crossing multiple time zones, so bring your flight itinerary showing time zone differences. Otherwise, you could end up taking too much or too little of your medication.
Rule number one of traveling with diabetes is to pack wisely. Put everything you’ll need for diabetes care in a small bag. Then keep the bag with you at all times, whether you’re on a plane, train, or motor vehicle. Estimate how much medication and how many testing supplies and syringes you are likely to need. Then bring twice that amount, just in case something unexpected happens.
Consider wearing a medical ID bracelet or necklace that identifies you as having diabetes, especially if you use insulin.
Taking a Road Trip
When you travel by car, bus or train, getting there is half the fun. Just be sure to follow these tips:
Getting There by Air
Air travel brings its own set of unique challenges and some simple solutions:
Going Through Security
Diabetes medication, devices and supplies are allowed through security once they have been screened. Let the security officer know before the screening process begins about any medications and devices you have with you, such as an insulin pump.
Last but not least, enjoy yourself! Diabetes shouldn’t stop you from having fun.
Ask your Rite Aid Pharmacist for other tips and travel advice for diabetics.
“Do You Know About Blood Clots and Travel?” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov/features/TravelDVT/index.html.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards
- TopMenu-Order PrintsOrder Prints
- TopMenu-Upload PhotosUpload Photos
- TopMenu-My AlbumsMy Albums
- TopMenu-Photo BooksPhoto Books
- TopMenu-Motion ProductsMotion Products
- TopMenu-Instagram Flip PrintsInstagram Flip Prints
- TopMenu-FeatherLite Gallery PanelsFeatherLite Gallery Panels