| || |
Going Beyond Peanut Butter
Still sticking to peanut butter sandwiches for school lunches? They’re a brown bagger’s favorite, but encourage your child to try other options.
Get Kids Involved
If your child is a picky eater; try getting him or her involved in grocery shopping and lunch planning. Getting a look at all the different kinds of fruit might encourage your youngster to try something new. Make sure lunches include protein, such as meat, cheese or nuts, and lean heavily on whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Keep sweets and fats to a minimum. Purchase foods that are easy to eat, such as baby carrots, string cheese, or dry roasted nuts.
Make Healthy Swaps
Here are some more ideas to chew on:
To keep foods like chicken salad cool, freeze a carton of milk or juice to include in the lunch.
“Banishing Brown Bag Boredom.” Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442465009&terms=brown%20bag#.UP9jbfLNmBt.
“Lunch Is in the Bag.” Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics www.eatright.org/kids/article.aspx?id=6442459372&terms=sack%20lunch.
“Secrets to Making Healthy and Fun School Lunches.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/downloads/tip-school-lunches.pdf.
“Tips for Eating Right.” National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/eat-right/tips-eating-right.htm.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards