| || |
Sharing the News About Your Child’s Diabetes
The grown-ups who supervise your child during exercise need to know about diabetes. It’s up to you and your child whether to tell the other children, however.
On one hand, if your child’s friends know about diabetes, they can watch for signs of low blood sugar and get help if needed. On the other hand, if your child doesn’t want to tell friends, it’s important to respect that feeling. Over time, you can help your child grow more comfortable with this condition.
When your child chooses to share, help prepare him or her for a range of responses. Together, you can practice ways to handle these common reactions:
Reaction: Worrying about catching diabetes
Reaction: Thinking people with diabetes can’t be athletic
Reaction: Thinking your child needs to sit quietly all the time
Ask a Rite Aid Pharmacist for other information to share about diabetes.
“Extreme Athletes: People with Diabetes Do It All.” American Diabetes Association, February 2013, http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2013/feb/.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards