| || |
Sunburn – Tips for Easing the Pain
Sunburn is no fun, but unfortunately it can happen to us all. Read on for some simple but effective tips to help ease the pain, swelling and discomfort of your sunburn.
So, you snoozed under the clear, blue sky or just forgot to keep slathering on the sunscreen while you were walking around outdoors. And now, you’re burned. Really fried, in fact.
You have the telltale signs of a sunburn: pink or red skin that is warm, painful and tender to the touch. In severe cases you may experience blistering, itching, fever, chills and/or nausea. These symptoms may occur in a few hours or may take a day or longer to appear. Blame it on the sun’s super-strong—and damaging—ultraviolet (UV) rays.
Types of Burns
Most sunburns are considered first or second-degree burns.
First-degree sunburns are pink in color and typically don’t blister, while second-degree burns usually range from pink to bright red and may blister.
Most of the time, you can treat sunburns—even the painful ones—at home. This includes first-degree and minor second-degree sunburns.
Ease the Pain
Here are some hot tips for soothing sunburn:
Moisturize Dry Skin
If skin is not blistering, a moisturizing cream or aloe vera lotion may help relieve some of the discomfort. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration and stay out of the sun until your sunburn is healed.
Call your doctor if your sunburn is blistering and covers a large portion of your body, worsens, or does not improve within a few days. Also, see your doctor if your symptoms include fever, chills, nausea, rash, you are feeling faint or dizzy, or you have signs of an infection.
Ask your Rite Aid Pharmacist to help select the appropriate products to ease the pain of your sunburn and remember to purchase sunscreen for your next trip outdoors.
"First Aid: Burns,” American Academy of Dermatology.
“What Is Skin Cancer?” American Academy of Dermatology. www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/for-kids/about-skin/skin-cancer/what-is-skin-cancer.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards