| || |
Tap the Power of Water
Staying hydrated on a hot summer day can be a challenge, especially if you’re an older adult.
As you age, you don’t sense thirst as quickly as before. Also, your body loses the ability to keep the amount of water in your body steady. That’s a problem, because every system in the body depends on water. Our bodies use water to regulate body temperature, aid the digestive system and much more.
Medication May Be a Factor
If you’re taking medication, you may need to be especially careful to get the water you need. Diuretics, also called water pills, are commonly taken for high blood pressure and are a major cause of dehydration among older adults. Physical conditions that make it difficult to drink can also discourage you from staying hydrated.
Fortunately, the cure is simple. Try these strategies to drink more water:
And don’t forget that adding more fruit, veggies, soup and other water-heavy foods to your diet can help keep you hydrated.
Know the Symptoms of Dehydration
To make sure you’re getting the water you need, learn the signs of dehydration:
Talk to your Rite Aid Pharmacist about any dehydration symptoms or medication questions you may have.
“Aging and Health A to Z.” Healthy Aging.org.
“Dehydration.” Medline Plus, U.S. National Library of Medicine, www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dehydration.html.
“Dehydration danger for older adults.” U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. www.epa.gov/naturalevents/dehydration.html.
“Healthy Hydration.” American Council on Exercise, www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness-fact-article/173/healthy-hydration/.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards