| || |
Testosterone Therapy: What Are the Risks?
Stronger bones and muscles. More energy. Better sexual health. Testosterone therapy promises all this and more to men with low hormone levels.
But now, new research has raised concerns about the risk for heart attacks, strokes and death in some men who use testosterone replacement therapy. As a result, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is evaluating this research and other available data and will communicate their final conclusions and recommendations when the evaluation is complete..
Each year, doctors write more than 5.3 million prescriptions for testosterone creams, patches, and gels. Although testosterone levels naturally decline with age, even younger men can experience deficiencies. This treatment reverses the effects of low hormone levels, improving sexual interest, bone density, and muscle mass.
But as increasing numbers of men begin this treatment, new studies highlight potential heart risks.
Consider All the Facts
At this time, FDA has not concluded that FDA-approved testosterone treatment increases the risk of stroke, heart attack, or death. If you or a loved one are taking testosterone, don’t stop without discussing the risks and benefits with a healthcare professional.
Learn more about testosterone treatment and find an endocrinologist—a doctor specializing in hormones—through the Endocrine Society’s Hormone Health Network.
“Association of Testosterone Therapy With Mortality, Myocardial Infarction, and Stroke in Men With Low Testosterone Levels.” R. Vigen et al. JAMA. Nov. 6, 2013, vol. 310, no. 17, pp. 1829-36. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24193080.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards
- TopMenu-Order PrintsOrder Prints
- TopMenu-Upload PhotosUpload Photos
- TopMenu-My AlbumsMy Albums
- TopMenu-Photo BooksPhoto Books
- TopMenu-Motion ProductsMotion Products
- TopMenu-Instagram Flip PrintsInstagram Flip Prints
- TopMenu-FeatherLite Gallery PanelsFeatherLite Gallery Panels