| || |
What to Do When Heartburn Lingers
Heartburn—that burning sensation in the chest or throat—happens to most of us now and then. Too much food, or eating certain foods, tends to bring it on. If it shows up only occasionally, it’s probably not serious.
Severe, chronic heartburn is a different story. Known as gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, it occurs when the muscle between the esophagus (your swallowing tube) and the stomach becomes weak.
Who Is Affected?
GERD can affect, men, women, children and infants. Pregnant women frequently experience GERD because progesterone, a hormone produced during pregnancy, relaxes the muscle between the esophagus and stomach allowing the contents of the stomach to pass up into the esophagus. The pressure caused by the baby’s position on the abdomen can also push stomach acid up to the esophagus. People who are overweight, smoke, abuse alcohol or have a chronic illness, like diabetes or asthma, are more prone to this problem.
Although GERD can make you feel lousy, there are more important reasons to prevent it. Some chronic conditions, like asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), actually can worsen with GERD. It also can complicate treatment by mimicking symptoms of other problems. For example, GERD can cause severe chest pain, similar to a heart attack.
Help prevent GERD by carefully managing your condition. If you experience heartburn, talk with your doctor. GERD often is treated with medication, but lifestyle changes also can help reduce symptoms. Try to:
Visit your Rite Aid Pharmacist to help you carefully manage your condition.
“Treatment Options for GERD or Acid Reflux Disease.” U.S. National Library of Medicine. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0016453/.
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards