At Rite Aid, we have a personal interest in your health and wellness. That’s why we deliver the products and services that you, our valued customer, need to lead a healthier, happier life. Everyone at Rite Aid—from our knowledgeable, caring associates and pharmacists to the members of our board of directors—works together to provide you with a superior pharmacy experience.
Rite Aid Corporation is also proud to be one of the nation's leading drugstore chains. With approximately 4,600 stores in 31 states and the District of Columbia, we have a strong presence on both the East and West Coasts. Rite Aid is the largest drugstore chain on the East Coast and the third-largest in the United States, employing roughly 89,000 associates. Our company is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol RAD.
Rite Aid Corporation History
Our first store opens as Thrift D Discount Center in Scranton, Pennsylvania.
We grow rapidly through acquisitions and the opening of new stores, expanding to five northeastern states.
Our name officially changes to Rite Aid Corporation. We also make our first public offering and start trading on the American Stock Exchange.
Rite Aid moves to the New York Stock Exchange.
We now operate 267 stores in 10 states.
Our company becomes the third-largest retail drugstore chain in the country.
We pass the $1 billion sales mark for the first time.
We celebrate our 25th anniversary and acquire 420 stores in Florida, Maryland, Washington D.C., Delaware, Indiana, New York, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania. This greatly expands our market penetration and we pass the 2,000-store mark to become the nation's largest drugstore chain in terms of store count.
The acquisition of Perry Drug Stores—the largest drugstore chain in Michigan—is our largest acquisition to date. We now operate nearly 3,000 stores.
We expand services to the West Coast and the Gulf Coast region, through the acquisitions of Thrifty PayLess Holdings, Inc., Harco, Inc., and K & B Incorporated, adding over 1,000 stores to the company.
We form a strategic partnership with General Nutrition Companies, Inc. (GNC), the largest specialty retailer of vitamins, mineral supplements, sports nutrition, and herbal products. This partnership leads to the creation of GNC "stores within stores" in Rite Aid locations across the country.
A new management team joins Rite Aid to set a new course and create and execute a turnaround plan.
Our strategic initiatives for growth now include a comprehensive focus on patient health and wellness programs, including heart health and allergy awareness, oral and skin care, diabetes and weight management, successful private label launches, and effective promotional and seasonal programs.
We complete our purchase of the Brooks and Eckerd drugstore chains, making us the largest drugstore chain on the East Coast and the third-largest nationally.
We introduce our first-ever free customer rewards program, wellness+, which has become recognized as the best loyalty program in the drugstore channel*.
To meet the needs of our value-driven consumers, we continue to revamp our entire private brand program with a new look, new brands, and additional offerings.
We introduce wellness+ with Plenti, a new rewards program partnership that offers even greater savings to our customers. Along with wellness+ benefits, wellness+ with Plenti lets you earn Plenti points at one place and use them at another, all with a single rewards card.
* Bond Brand Loyalty Study, 2014
- TopMenu-wellness+ plenti
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Dashboardwellness+ with Plenti Dashboard
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plenti Programswellness+ with Plenti Programs
- TopMenu-wellness+ with Plentiwellness+ with Plenti
- TopMenu-Pharmacy ServicesPharmacy Services
- TopMenu-Pharmacy BenefitsPharmacy Benefits
- TopMenu-Smoking CessationSmoking Cessation
- TopMenu-Chat with a PharmacistChat with a Pharmacist
- TopMenu-Learn More About Our PharmacistsLearn More About Our Pharmacists
- TopMenu-Drug InformationDrug Information
- TopMenu-Insurance & Prescription SavingsInsurance & Prescription Savings
- TopMenu-Health InformationHealth Information
- TopMenu-Affordable Care ActAffordable Care Act
- TopMenu-Online DealsOnline Deals
- TopMenu-Medicine & HealthMedicine & Health
- TopMenu-Personal CarePersonal Care
- TopMenu-Vitamins & SupplementsVitamins & Supplements
- TopMenu-Sexual HealthSexual Health
- TopMenu-Diet & FitnessDiet & Fitness
- TopMenu-Baby, Kids & MomBaby, Kids & Mom
- TopMenu-Electronics & OfficeElectronics & Office
- TopMenu-Greeting CardsGreeting Cards
- TopMenu-Order PrintsOrder Prints
- TopMenu-Upload PhotosUpload Photos
- TopMenu-My AlbumsMy Albums
- TopMenu-Photo BooksPhoto Books
- TopMenu-Motion ProductsMotion Products
- TopMenu-Instagram Flip PrintsInstagram Flip Prints
- TopMenu-FeatherLite Gallery PanelsFeatherLite Gallery Panels